The Sandbox is a decentralized blockchain game developed by Pixowl that combines elements of NFT. Players can purchase virtual land resources in the game and "convert the land" through the built-in game editor.
Chain Tour The Sandbox
The Sandbox, a decentralized blockchain game developed by Pixowl, combines elements of NFT. Players can buy virtual land resources in the game and "modify the land" through the built-in game editor. At the same time, the game incorporates the "Play-to-Earn" concept, which allows players to earn money while playing the game. You can freely create and trade NFT items, which can be converted into virtual currency for profit once sold.
If you know or have played Minecraft before, then you will be very familiar with The Sandbox. It can be said that The Sandbox is the equivalent of Minecraft on a chain. But the difference is that in the world of The Sandbox, players can unlock in-game real estate through LAND, a non-homogenized token (NFT) created by the Ether ERC-721 protocol.
Today, Sandbox is one of the largest independent user-generated content and game platforms in the world, with over 1 million active users and over 40 million downloads per month.
Basic content of The Sandbox
Before we start playing the sandbox, we need to understand the basics of the game and how it works.
The Sandbox consists of the game website and the game itself, which can be divided into three parts: "Map", "Market" and the setting to view personal assets. The game itself is composed of Game Marker, a game launcher, and VoxEdit, which creates NFT.
In brief, the sandbox consists of 3 basic elements.
1. Vox Editor
"VoxEdit is a 3D modeling package that allows players to create a variety of 3D objects, including people, flora and fauna, and animations.
In the game, players can use VoxEdit to freely manipulate voxels, which are 3D cube elements (such as building blocks), and create their own creations.
The created 3D artwork can be sent from VoxEdit to Market and converted into game assets - ASSET.
2. Market (Market)
In The Sandbox's Marketplace, users can upload or sell work created using VoxEdit.
These works first need to be uploaded to the IPFS network for decentralized storage, and then registered to the blockchain to prove ownership.
After completing these steps, your idea will become a priced asset for exchange buyers to purchase.
💡 The IPFS network is a decentralized inter-personal storage (P2P) system for connecting all computers and storing all file names in a repository, while excluding duplicate entries of the same file.
3. Game markers
Game Marker, the game launcher provided by The Sandbox, is a visual scripting tool that allows its users to develop the games they need without coding. The resources created by VoxEdit can be used in Game Marker or in the game itself.
The 3 assets and uses of The Sandbox
The SandBox game can be said to be composed of 3 main elements.
- Game tokens SAND: tokens necessary to participate in the game, which can be used for trading, pledging and governance.
- Game LandLand: Land in the game, with a total supply limit of 166,464 plots.
- Game Assets Assets: NFT props that can be traded, such as equipment, items, quilts, etc.
SAND is a governance token in the sandbox that can be used to make basic transactions in the sandbox. It is built on Ether ERC-20 tokens, with a maximum supply of 3,000,000,000 tokens.
There are four main uses of SAND.
- The SandBox's trading currency: players can use SAND to buy NFTs in the SandBox, including LAND and Assets.
- Creator Rewards: The game will select creators from users based on the results of their ideas, and the selected creators can earn SAND rewards by creating and selling NFTs.
- Pledges: Players can also pledge to earn more SAND tokens.
- Governance: SAND holders can participate in the governance and decision making of the platform using the DAO structure.
LAND is the land unit of the game. In The SandBox, there are 166,464 pieces of land in total, and each LAND is NFT, which means the land is owned and tradable, and will exist permanently in the game. LAND can be divided into two parts, one is LAND, which is the basic unit of the sandbox, and the area of each is 96*96 meters, which is the minimum feasible size for all blockchain games. The other is ESTATE, which is the sum of multiple lands.
There are 3 things that users can do in LAND, which are.
- Build and play games: LAND can be customized with various resources. Thus, it is the player's ticket to explore the metaverse. In addition, it can be used for socializing in order to communicate with other players in the metaverse.
- Access to SAND: LAND owners can profit from the LAND gaming experience. When other users visit LAND or participate in hosted games, the owner of the land can earn a SAND entry fee.
- Participate in Sandbox Governance: LAND also has the right to govern The SandBox. Players can vote in the sandbox to express their opinions.
Assets are equivalent to the game's NFT props, including some weapons, artwork, furnishings, clothing and so on. Assets can be divided into 3 categories.
- Entities: backgrounds that act as entities in the land, like some decorations, buildings, or non-player characters.
- Equipment: items that players can carry, such as clothes, weapons, collectible props, etc..
- Squares: environmental squares in the game world, which can be different elements, such as water, mud, sand.